Promise to Protect Campaign
The Hanover Conservancy is launching the Promise to Protect campaign to keep our promise to
- Conserve new strategic lands
- Care for lands we have protected
- Protect native plants and wildlife
- Help our community adapt to a changing climate
- Honor our natural and cultural heritage
- Educate the public about the benefits and responsibilities of conservation
- Advocate for policies that protect our environment
Over our 60-year history, we have been proud to partner with others who care about Hanover’s lands and waters, including the Town, Dartmouth College, businesses, and other conservation groups. We’ve protected over 1,000 acres and assisted the Town and others in protecting nearly 1,800 more. But our most important partners have been you and your neighbors.
Because you cared, because you volunteered, because you contributed, and because you decided to act, our community has precious natural spaces like the summit of Balch Hill, the Mink Brook Nature Preserve, and the wild lands of Moose Mountain.
Maintaining them — and adding to them — requires commitment. We need your support to reach our $2 million goal. Details on this need appear below.
The Promise to Protect campaign enables the Hanover Conservancy to pursue the aspirations of our bold new five-year strategic plan. A generous challenge grant of $600,000 from the Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation supports our ambitious campaign goal. In the campaign’s quiet phase, current and former board members, supportive long-time members, and new friends came together with enthusiasm to build on this gift. We want to leave future generations a world with
- Clean drinking water
- Ample, safe outdoor green spaces
- Trails for healthy outdoor recreation
- Healthy wildlife habitat and a natural carbon bank
- A community prepared for a changing climate
The work of safeguarding our natural heritage is never done. Our success and our example in pursuing these actions are our legacy.
We will lead the effort, and we ask you to join us in fulfilling our Promise to Protect.
Our campaign seeks to support our three main program initiatives, described here. To ensure our future ability to sustain this work, the campaign goal includes $1 million in endowment.